March for Babies

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Extreme Makeover: Blog Edition

We are currently doing a major overhaul on our house. We have done the kitchen, the rec room in the basement (now the game room), replaced the flooring on every floor in the house (carpeted the basement, uncovered the gorgeous oak floors on the main floor, replaced the old gross linoleum in the kitchen, hall and bathroom and carpeted the stairway and bedroom upstairs. This summer will find us residing the house (from gold aluminum to a gray/blue vinyl) and putting on a new garage roof. We just finished the guest room which now feels so warm and cozy and like someplace I would want to stay if I were someone's guest.

This weekend will find me painting in the living room (while T is away at the NASCAR race). Two walls and the ceiling will be white, as they are now. The other two walls which until last night were sporting a subtle floral wallpaper, will be painted a rich sage green. Contrasting with white trim and blinds and the wood flooring and window casings I think this room will look absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see it finished.

The whole time I was growing up I loved to rearrange the furniture in my room. This kept up through college dorms and even in our first apartment. I would move our bed, swap the couch and the entertainment center (no small feat that, the entertainment center is a huge bastard made of solid oak), etc.

In our new house, the only room I have been able to rearrange with any ease is my office. Basically with the size of the furniture and the size of the rooms, things are where they need to be and they really can't be anywhere else. This drives me nuts! I feel at home and I love my home but I need a bit of change once in a while. (This is why I will never again have short hair. I couldn't stand going day in and day out dressy or casual with the same damn style.) I need to be spontaneous and change things from time to time just to keep things interesting.

Hence the change in my blog template. Once again, I have moved on from the formerly all blue to a white with blue border and blue writing. I like it, don't you? We'll see how long it lasts. Maybe in another 6 months I'll find something else that catches my fancy and change it again. Until then, I'll be busy changing more stuff in my house.

No comments: